Wednesday, December 31, 2014

reflections

I have fallen behind in my online class, so I have spent the last two days trying to catch up. I never realized that there were Indiana state standards for technology or such a variety of online learning standards in general. I should have, as it makes perfect sense, but I never investigated. That is why I really am liking this class, it is stretching me. I am headed to create a symbaloo account when I am done here and I am really excited about doing it, but I wanted to reflect here first.

ISTE Standards for teachers
ISTE Standards for students
Indiana State Standards for Virtual Instruction
iNACOL Standards for Quality Online Courses


I found the Indiana standards to be wordy and I believe they would require too much time to get to the heart of the matter, when planning and assessing. At first I liked the ISTE standards the best. They seem simpler to manage and less wordy in general. I think they get straight to the point, but are deep enough to guide instruction. Then I really liked the iNACOL standards. I like that they fit so neatly into the rubric that was in the appendix. It was so easy to measure how well you were implementing each standard with that rubric. I like the ISTE for the simplicity and the iNACOL standards for how easy they are to assess. As I move into this digital age of instruction I need simplicity but I will also need accountability. I will need to work with them each to determine which I like using the best. I believe at this time it will end up being the iNACOL standards, but I will post again when I have more input.


On December 19th I attended an Professional Development day that my district put on and one session was flipping the classroom and another was google classroom. I am excited to move in this direction and I have spent some time planning a video lesson that I want to use this next semester as a trial. These standards will be very helpful as I move forward and develop these resources and lessons.

No comments:

Post a Comment